Senior letter: Jettaka McWilliams

Prestige Portraits

Prestige Portraits

My four years of high school have been so eventful. It’s hard to believe I’m a senior ready to graduate. Though I’ve been through many hardships in the past four years, I have also made so many memories that I’ll carry with me throughout the rest of my life. I have made so many lifelong friends, and friendships that I’ve had since grade school have been made even stronger.

My high school classes have ranged from pretty terrible to really enjoyable. Sometimes it’s been hard to stay awake, and others I would look forward to going to. I really do enjoy learning and I feel high school has really made me more passionate about that. I can’t say I’ve necessarily discovered what I want to do for the rest of my life, but I have realized how many opportunities are open to me. I believe I really understand now all the potential I have.

I really want to take the advantage of thanking specific teachers. Because we’re a bunch of lousy teenagers, we often forget to take time to really appreciate the job of a teacher. My dad has been a teacher for years, and it has really helped me appreciate the hard work, dedication, and passion that these people have put in to help others. During sophomore year, I realized just how much I loved English. Mrs. Naab taught me how to express myself through writing, and helped me really appreciate a good book. I want to continue my education in the field of English, and I really owe that to her. Second is (of course) Mrs.Gimpel. We started off on the wrong foot to be honest, because I was upset that we didn’t have Mr. Cianfranni anymore. But after months of being taught how to be a journalist and getting to know Mrs. Gimpel, she has become a really influential person in my life. I looked forward to 5th period journalism because I knew it would be a welcoming atmosphere. Even though we joke about our rivalry with the juniors, I do hope many of them stay in this class. There is so much to be learned.

I also want to thank my friends. In times of difficulty I’ve never felt that I didn’t have anyone to turn to. I always had a helping hand and a shoulder to cry on. My journalism table in S203 and our row of four computers in S215 were filled with so many laughs and I got the privilege to be with such amazing people. This letter wouldn’t be complete if I didn’t mention Hayley Sue Retter, my lifelong friend and biggest influence, who will be undoubtedly in my life forever.

I don’t think high school will be the best four years of my life. I believe I have a lot more to see and a lot more to learn. But I am very thankful to Archbishop Ryan for the experiences it has given me. Now, I am ready to do more with my life. As Eleanor Roosevelt once said, “The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”