Senior letter: Anna Meredith

Prestige Portraits

Prestige Portraits

To the class of 2021:

Four years ago I walked through the doors of Archbishop Ryan as a student for the first time. I had such high expectations for high school and what the next four years would bring. Friends and family members warned me that these four years would go by fast. Naturally, I didn’t believe them. Now here I am as a senior with three class days left of high school, wishing I did.

Freshman year is interesting. You feel old because you’re in high school leaving all of those grade school tendencies behind. There’s no recess, no desks that you can call your own, and no “codes.” Instead, you have four minutes between classes, your own lockers, and demerits along with the dreaded detentions. However, you still may feel young and small in such a big school. Here’s some tips I’m going to give to you to help your transition from grade school to high school be a little less painful:

1. When you’re making stops at your locker, please don’t put your books on the floor as you look for other books you might need. It takes too much time and some people might be rude and decide to kick your stuff all over the place.
  2. Do NOT go up the down steps. There are too many people coming down the steps for you to make your own lane to go up.
  3. Be organized. High school is more fast paced than grade school. It’s easy to forget things, so write things down. You got an agenda book for a reason. Use it.

When I try and remember my freshman year, most of it is just one big blur. It’s crazy to think that four years ago I was stressing about where to sit at lunch and how to do an algebra problem. Now I’m thinking about when my next car payment is and preparing for college.

Some advice for you going into your high school experience is to think ahead. Maybe you think that a freshman physical science grade won’t really affect your class rank. Trust me, it does down the road when you have to apply for scholarships. Maybe you think that getting school lunch everyday won’t make you gain weight. Trust me, it will.

Whether you’re into sports or clubs, there is something for everyone at Ryan. If you’re one of those people who plans on getting good grades and not getting involved at all, you’re going to be in for a rude awakening when you apply for NHS and have trouble getting in. Even if you don’t want to get into the National Honors Society, colleges do look at extracurricular activities as well as academics. Don’t wait until your junior or senior year to get involved in a sport or activity. You might be missing out.

Probably the biggest piece of advice I can give you is: be yourself and don’t care what anyone else thinks. I had to realize this later on into high school. Doing things to impress people is only going to get you so far. After these four years you’ll be off to college or doing whatever you want to do and what people thought of you in high school won’t matter anymore. Be your own person and don’t feel like you need to be part of a crowd. It’s really easy to feel left out, but eventually you’ll find your place. If for some reason you don’t, just remember high school is only four years it’s not forever.

For most of you, high school isn’t going to be the best four years of your life. However, it is a stepping stone that’s going to get you to where you need to be. Enjoy it while you can, but don’t feel like you have to love high school. High school wasn’t the best four years of my life and I know that the best is yet to come. However, I’m grateful for my high school experience because I found myself as person. I hope you can all do the same and make the best of the next four years. God bless; and remember WE are AR!

From, a member of the class of 2017