Filed under News

Underclassmen receive awards in academics and the arts

Many juniors, sophomores, and freshmen have achieved great things academically and artistically as Archbishop Ryan students, and they were recognized recently at an underclassmen honors convocation.

Among those recognized were students whose grade point averages placed them in the top five percent academically in each class. Sixteen students from the junior class, 14 students from the sophomore class, and 13 students from the freshman class received this award.

The consecutive honors award was given to students who have received honors every quarter they have been at Ryan. Four students from the junior class, 13 students from the sophomore class, and 26 students from the freshman class earned this award.

Also honored publicly were those who received the scholar-of-the-month awards from November to April. Breanna Cahill was the November scholar of the month, Ryan Elkins for December, Emily Corbett for January, Ashini Patel for February, Eric Luu for March, and Abigail Woods for April.

Several awards were presented for academics. The Association of Catholic teachers honored freshman Olivia Gribley. The Amy Canning Kohler Scholarship was awarded to junior James McIlhenny. The Hugh O’Brien Youth Leadership Award was given to sophomore Peter Marcellion. Junior Eileen Moroz won the Rensselaer award. The Bausch & Lomb Honorary Science Award was presented to junior Ryan DiMaio, the  Xerox Award for Innovation was presented to junior Brianna Gallagher, the Frederick Douglas and Susan B. Anthony Award was presented to junior Alissa Sliwa, the George Eastman Young leaders award was presented to junior Lindsay Donohue, the St. Michael’s College Book Award was presented to juniors Haley O’Neill and Sean Dembeck, and the Daughters of American Revolution award was presented to junior Brittany Kahhan. The PSAT High Scorer award was presented to junior Brody Alloway. The Diocesan Scholar award was presented to junior Maria Deleso.

The junior varsity and varsity Mathletes were honored next. Sixteen students were honored  from junior varsity, including high scorers sophomore David (Wei) Dai and freshman Ryan Elkins. Twelve students were honored from varsity.

Twenty-six students were honored for the American Mathematics Competition. An award for Women in Engineering was presented to junior Emily Campbell with high honors and to junior Lika Su with honors.

Seven students were presented with an award for Excellence in Latin.

Awards for achievement in music also were presented. Five students were presented with the Arion National Music Award. Sophomore Kylie Snellbaker was presented with the National School Choral Award, a Choral Leadership certificate was presented to junior Angelica Pinon, sophomore Dan Chiodo was awarded the Quincy Jones Musical Scholarship, junior Eileen Moroz received the Leonard Bernstein Musicianship award, and junior Joseph Agger received the Louis Amstrong Jazz Award and the Director’s Award for Band.

Five students received the Instrumentalist Magazine Musicianship Award, and six students received the Instrumentalist Magazine Merit award.

Several students received awards for art. Juniors Alyssa Sliwa, Lika Su, and Daniel Jurgelewicz were honored for their efforts in the Dad Vail Regatta art contest. Abigail Woods received the freshman art award, Justina Cahill received the sophomore art award, and Alyssa Sliwa received the junior art award.