TV review: “Dear White People”

“Dear White People,” the TV version, is a continuation of the 2014 film of the same name.

This original Netflix series follows a group of students of color who attend a predominately white Ivy League college, Winchester University. The main setting is a predominately black dorm that is on campus.

It follows the main characters Samantha White (Logan Browning), Gabe (John Patrick), Coco Conners (Antoinette Robertson), Lionel Higgins (DeRon Horton), Troy Fairbanks (Brandon P. Well), Reggie Green (Marque Richardson), and Joelle Brooks (Ashley Blaine Featherson).

This show addresses the strong elements of institutional racism in America. White, a radio host on campus, is a strong advocate for the civil rights movement. However, even though the main plot of the TV series is addressing racial issues, there is an even larger and important subplot: self-identity. The characters go through their own personal struggles that contribute to how they deal with the controversial events happening on campus.

Every episode is dedicated to each of the characters’ different viewpoints on the various racially driven issues that occur on campus. For example, there was a blackface party that a majority of white students attended that was apparently thrown by one of the school’s magazines, led by an all white staff.

According to Eric Deggans from NPR, in an April article on Rotten Tomatoes, “Dear White People” is “the perfect series for young people negotiating a world where struggles over identity grow more complex every day.”