Filed under Showcase, Sports

The Battle of Northeast Philadelphia

The Archbishop Ryan football team defeated Father Judge last Friday night in their rivalry match-up.

The game was played at Northeast High School which is often the home field for both teams.  This year, Judge was home, but it was Ryan who left with the bragging rights and the coveted trophy to display at school.

Ryan held off the late drive by Judge. That could have sent the game into overtime, but instead Justin Collier intercepted the ball, the Raiders held on and the Ryan sideline went crazy.  As usual, it was a packed house on both sides with very excited and noisy friends, family, and students. Both teams are in the Red division of the Catholic league and really wanted this win.

Senior wide receiver and  linebacker, Xavier King,  is thrilled as all the players are with the win.

“We have been preparing for this game by just focusing on us and what we need to do to perform well and come out with the win,”said King. “We went into the game worrying about what we each need to do as part of a team to win and tonight we showed everyone what we worked so hard for.”

Ryan started the scoring with running back Jason Jefferson taking the ball in under 2 minutes in the first quarter.  The extra point (#58 ) was successful for a 7-0 lead.

Then, Ryan’s Colin Boyd snagged another passing touchdown followed by a missed extra point, which made the score 13-0 until a touchdown from Judge with blocked extra point closed the gap.

Ryan wasn’t done scoring just yet. Quarterback Jahill Sanders rushed past the pylon with 16 seconds left in the half. The extra point lifted the raiders to 20 first-half points.Ryan lead 20-6 at the half.  

Judge’s touchdown in the fourth quarter closed the score to 20-13, and flustered the Ryan fans, but Ryan’s defense intercepted late to seal Crusaders fate.

King added, “We depend on our line a lot, and without them we won’t win.  They are a major factor for our team.”

The Ryan Raiders currently are 2-0. They are preparing for their game against the Lasalle Explorers on Saturday at Plymouth-Whitemarsh High School’s stadium at 6pm.