Filed under News

Seniors strive for higher scores at the October SAT

The first SAT test date of the 2017-2018 school year is Saturday, Oct. 7. Students will be taking it at Archbishop Ryan High School as well as at other designated test centers. Despite the changes to the SAT that took effect March two years ago, the SAT’s purpose remains the same — it is a door through which many students must pass to get into college.

The standardized test helps colleges determine an applicant’s skills and abilities in reading, writing and math.

Most universities require applicants to have a certain score to get accepted; for example, Bloomsburg University requires a minimum score of 960.

There is no rule as to how many times someone can take the SAT, but Higher Scores Test Prep recommends students take it two to three times.  

Archbishop Ryan senior Sarah Gudas stated, “I am taking the SAT’s for the third time this upcoming Saturday, Oct. 7. I have been preparing for it with Khan Academy and I hope to do better the last time I take it.”

Khan Academy is a proper preparation plays a key part in scoring well. (https://www.khanacademy.org/) is a free website students can visit to improve their test-taking skills by practicing sample questions.

Hard-working students who took the precautions of preparing for the SAT will hopefully get the scores necessary to get into the colleges of their dreams.

Other SAT testing days for the 2017/2018 school year are: November 4th, December 2nd, March 10th, May 5th, and June 2nd.