Filed under Features

Pennsylvania high school soccer legend George Todt

At the time of his retirement in 2013 George Todt had coached 44 seasons of boys soccer and set a state record of 642 wins that that he still holds.

Todt’s soccer career started at Father Judge High School where he was an all catholic soccer and baseball player.

“I didn’t go here (Ryan) because it wasn’t built yet,” said Todt.

After high school Todt attended St. Joseph University where he majored in French and minored in Education. When he was finished college Todt was 21 years old and hired to teach French at Archbishop Ryan High School. Along with being teacher Todt also became the boys varsity soccer coach.

“I developed the program and at the time I wanted to rival North Catholic and Cardinal Dougherty who were the best at the time,” said Todt.    

During the 70s Todts teams never missed a playoff game and in 1981 he led his team to their first championship. He coached for 43 years and never had a losing season in that time. Todts teams won 13 of 20 championships that they went to, in the 80s won 6 straight championships,and from 1983 to 88 won 61 games without a loss. Todt also taught the his players a very important rule.

“The most important rule that I had for my players was that family comes first,” said Todt.

During his time Todt was able to coach both of his sons and coached players who went on to play at higher levels. One of these players was Juan Forero who played in the 1983 FIFA world youth championship in Mexico. Also Todt was able to coach the sons of some of his former players or sees them at Ryan now.

“ It’s fun to see Will Stackhouse after I coached the 7 Stackhouse brothers,” said Todt.

Though Todt had offers to coach elsewhere he never left and he retired as the soccer coach. Though Todt is most known for his accomplishments in soccer during his time at Ryan he coached boys tennis for 33 years .

“ I knew who I was at Ryan and I’m going to keep coming back until I can’t anymore,” said Todt, “I have seen where we (Ryan) have been, where we are, and where we are going.”

Although Todt has received countless awards, holds several records, and has been inducted into several soccer hall of fames he said the most important was the field at ryan.

“You can’t play soccer on a bad field, my legacy will live on after I’m gone because of the field being dedicated to me,” said Todt.

Till this day Todt is the athletic director at Ryan after more than 40 years.

“These days I go from AD, to popop, to husband,” said Todt.