New headband policy for Ryan girls gets rescinded

A stricter headband policy for Ryan girls is removed two class days after implementation.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Regina Ruskowski

Regina Ruskowski

Regina Ruskowski

As of April 2018, Archbishop Ryan’s administration decided that girls are not permitted to wear multi-colored headbands or nike headbands. Disciplinarian and assistant principal of Archbishop Ryan Charles Panepresso is in charge of enforcing the dress code.

Some students are confused about why they are not allowed to wear certain headbands. They argue that they should be allowed to do so because it doesn’t affect their education.

Also, Panepresso said that when students are out of the dress code, it leads to other problems, like being late for class and behavior problems.

“Although the administration respects the individuality of all our students and even celebrates their individual accomplishments both in the classroom, in the community, and on the field. The school uniform is a point of pride for our school and therefore should be worn as such,” said Panepresso.

On the Monday following Panepresso’s directive on headbands to clarify what was said. Mr. McFadden, the principal of Archbishop Ryan, spoke to the student body and stated headbands are permitted to be worn, but not to cover the entire students head. The headbands should be no more than 2 inches in width according to administration.

“The wearing of headbands was becoming more popular as time went on,” says Panepresso.  “No formal statement or directive was ever made concerning headbands, nor is there a statement about wearing headbands in the handbook.”

“In my four years at Ryan, headbands were never an issue, so I don’t understand why it became an issue now,” said senior Sarah Gudas.

The attempted headband rule was only implemented for two classdays. Female students are once again permitted to wear nike and multi-colored headbands.