Filed under Sports

Ryan’s track field team wins their first District 12 Championship

We are the champions! On May 16 and 17, the Archbishop Ryan Boy’s and Girl’s Track and Field Team became victorious and were named the District 12 Champions for the first time ever. The team, along with other teams in the Philadelphia Catholic League and Philadelphia Public League, traveled to Benjamin Johnston Memorial Stadium to compete in the District 12 meet. This meet included many personal records, top performances, and state qualifiers.

“Overall I thought it was a great meet,” said head coach Mike Leonard. “We had many personal and season best times and I couldn’t be prouder. There was much improvement shown at this meet.”

Although Leonard thought that much improvement was shown, there is always room for more.

“Next year we will pay more attention to detail in events. We are going to keep the young group growing in the right direction. In terms of what we could have done, I think we did all that we could.” Leonard said.

Along with personal best times, there were a few specific top performers that stuck out to Coach Leonard. Sophomores Kara Brooks, Kelsey Sebwe, Caitlin Geiger, Tom Harper, and junior Starr Williams had outstanding performances.

The most memorable race of the meet for Leonard was the girls 4×8 relay. This relay team included freshman Mariana Rodrigues, sophomore Ana Fratanduono, sophomore Frances Chung, and senior captain Brittany Kahhan. Not only did the girls run a great time, they also qualified for states.

The states championship meet will take place Memorial Day Weekend at Shippensburg University. The runners participating in this meet are the girls 4×8 relay (Rodrigues, Fratanduono, Chung, Kahhan), Kelsey Sebwe in the 100 meter hurdle and the long jump, and Tom Harper in the 110 hurdles. The team is preparing to run faster than ever at this meet.