Filed under Features, Uncategorized

Alyssa’s SAT Survival Guide

There are many things that high school students dread, with the SAT being near the top of the list. However, it doesn’t have to be this way. With the following tips and tricks, testing day could be smooth sailing.

1. Eat breakfast!

This may sound like a throw away step, but it is actually important because there is nothing more distracting than an empty stomach.

1. Be prepared.

Make sure that the night before you have all your materials ready for the next day — pencils,     calculator, batteries, etc.

1. Get a good amount of sleep.

Of course, no one wants to be in school when they are tired. So you definitely do not want to take a test that could determine your future after you were up all night. A sufficient amount of sleep is at least 8 hours.

1. Study, study, study.

Although it may seem difficult to prepare for such a lengthy test, if you study for an hour a day leading up to the test, your score will increase. Www.khanacademy.com is an educational site linked with CollegeBoard that many students continue to benefit from.

1. Plan your time wisely during the test.

Before starting the section, ensure you have paid attention to how much time has been given. This way, you will not be rushing at the end to fill in random circles.

1. Look for main ideas in the reading selections.

If you are reading the story/article given and something seems important, mark it with a star or underline it. You could also circle words that are reoccuring or crucial to the reading. By doing so, if you go back while answering the questions, these areas stand out.

1. Learn little tricks for the math section.

Whether it’s making sure you know basic knowledge off the top of your head or having programs downloaded on your calculator (like for slope!), these little tricks save a load of time. Because the math proves to be almost everyone’s low point on the SAT, brush up on old skills. You may see something from freshman year pop up!

1. Think logically.

When choosing the right answer, read each answer very carefully. Usually, more than one will seem correct. If you are stuck on one and need to just guess, use common sense.

I hope these tips help you on your journey to college. Good Luck!